Tuesday, 24 April 2012

The Belarusian language - letter Ў

There is a new monument in Polotsk (a Belarusian oldest town). It is dedicated to the 22nd letter of the our alphabet  - Ў. This letter represents a sound similar to English sound [w]. Therefore, we, Belarusians, easier to learn English than, for example, the Russians.

There is one funny and sad story. In Brest, in 2009, authorities unveiled a monument dedicated to the 1000th anniversary of the city. At 12 plates were allowed a lot of errors: 70 times was omitted from the letter Ў, there were other stylistic and typographical errors.

Photographs of the monument went around the Belarusian Internet. The government will soon replace the bronze plaque on the new - now with the letters Ў.


5 comments:

  1. I read a lot about dramatical history of Belarussian language - it's the same like Ukrainian: in southern and eastern part of Ukraine most people speak Russian, not Ukrainian. I'm hope that Belarussian language will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My first visit, will visit you again. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts( really interesting blog). Would be great if you could visit also mine...Thanks for sharing! Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I visited your blog and liked it. So I signed up for renewal.
      Very nice to talk with a colleague from the other end of the world.

      Delete
  3. Алена, подскажите, пожалуйста, белорусские словари синоним и этимологии.

    Спасибо!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Вітаю Алена! This was my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with your work here. I have a great deal of interest in learning about Eastern European countries like Belarus. I think it's a beautiful country with a rich history.
    I have been learning the Cyrillic alphabet, and I created one for my own native language Malay. In the alphabet, I included letter Ў to represent the w sound as a homage to the Belarusian language. Please visit my blog if you can, that's where I had posted this alphabet project... Great job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete