Sunday, 8 April 2012

Children

  Many people know that Belarus is greatly affected by the Chernobyl nuclear plant. Many people were forced to flee their homes due to radiation-contaminated land.
I work in the village Halch, it is located in the Vetka district - one of the most affected by the Chernobyl disaster. I want to tell you how children live there, what they do, what they have health.

  There are a lot of children in the Halch - they are the most common children in the world. Just as in the whole world they rejoice, grieve and weep. They do not reflect on the fact that their area is infected, that it is impossible to gather mushrooms and berries. They simply live. Each child has a mobile phone,  has a computer with Internet access. Almost all children are registered in different social networks, they actively interact with peers around the world.



These children look the same blockbusters as children in Italy, France, America, listen to the same hits (for several years now the whole school listens to RNB). Our children are very dependent on the Internet, if parents are cut off internet - it's a real tragedy. At school they do not play outdoor games - everyone gets a mobile phone and starts to send messages.

Once a year the children are taken in a sanatorium or abroad. If a group of children going somewhere, then go with the teacher. Several times I was in various sanatoria and saw that  the children do not like to walk in the woods, they sit in a room and listen to music on their mobile phones or watching TV. They are hard to get to go on the tour.
I do not know, maybe the children around the world behave, but it saddens me.

But most of all I grieve their health. We do not have healthy school children, each child has a diagnosis. Many children have problems with the heart, kidneys, many of the children increased the thyroid gland. They often miss classes - struggling badly weakened body, even with a cold, so they often get sick.

And I want to say a few words about what people are spoiled in this part of my country. People are accustomed  that the authorities take care of them and now are beginning to demand. Some parents do not buy school supplies for children, they believe that schools should ensure their children's exercise books, pens, paints. I brought the children of  sanatorium and for three children the parents did not give anything with them - no soap, no shampoo, no toothpaste, no combs, no books, no pencils, or even toilet paper. These parents were convinced that this is all I have to buy itself or that the resort will provide their children with everything you need. But our country is not rich and can afford to settle children in the luxurious rooms.

Often I see the following picture: the child is sitting at his desk, he does not have a pen or a  exercise book. If I ask, where is his pen, the child says, "You must give me a pen." I give him it, and after the lesson child calmly puts the pen in his pocket (he is sure that the pen was given to him forever.) In the dining room kids eat free, and they often throw out food, without even touching her. Thus, from childhood, children formed izhidevencheskie habits into adulthood, they behave exactly the same. They are not accustomed to independence, they believe that all the other people they have, an obligation to help take care of them. This is the main tragedy of the Chernobyl disaster.

3 comments:

  1. Thank You for this post. I read a lot about Chernobyl disaster, but only in historical view as part of history of USSR. I didn't read anything about today's situation in Belariussian families. Yes, this kind of behaviour exists also in some poor Polish families, who are infected by addictions like alcoholism. Greetings for You - we in Poland have Easter today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Thank you for this post. I have recently become interested in Belarus as I have been involved with some of the children from your country who came to Scotland for a month's 'health break' this summer (2013). I have tried to find out more about what life is like for the children, (I don't speak Russian, so couldn't really find out much from them) but the internet seems to be full of contradictions about the economy, levels of poverty, etc. I am wondering if you could give us any more of an idea what life is really like ? You mention in your post that there is this tendency to just expect that they will be provided with things. Is this really the case ? And you mention behaviour. Can you tell us more about that ? The reason I am asking is that there were a few things about the youngsters that confused me, and I am keen to make sure, if I am involved again next summer, that I know a bit more about the kinds of behaviours and attitudes I am likely to encounter, and how best to deal with them. The children came over from the area around Drahicyn, which I know is a long way from yourself, but I am hoping you will be able to help me understand the children of Belarus a bit more. Thanks ! Keep up the good work !

    Simon Watson, Scotland.

    PS - I would be very happy to chat via email, if that is better !

    ReplyDelete