Sunday, 5 April 2015

Congrats!



Palm Sunday, also called the Triumphal Entry, is one of the Great Feasts of the Orthodox Church, celebrated on the Sunday before Pascha (Easter).

A mere few days before His crucifixion, Jesus Christ was received by adoring throngs at his entry into Jerusalem on the back of young donkey. The crowds threw palm branches (a symbol of victory) in his path in jubilation, and even the children shouted praises to Him. The Orthodox celebrate this day with joy, but with the realization that very sad events are soon to come. Orthodox peoples who live in areas without palms, including the Russian Orthodox, use pussy willow branches rather than palms in the celebration of this event. Therefore in Russian Church this feast and is called Вербное (Pussy Willow) Воскресенье (Sunday). Some churches give small crosses made of palms at the end of the service and are then kept in the home icon corner.

Source: pravmir


4 comments:

  1. You have a lovely blog. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alena, I agree with Linda, your blog is lovely indeed. I have never been to Belarus but your posts have made me really curious. If I come to your country which cities would you recommend me to visit? Kind regards from Sofia, Nikolay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps Minsk - the capital. You can see many interesting things in Minsk. For example, our National Library. It has become a symbol of the city. Or Red Church, Nyamiha, Troetskoe suburb.

      I would recommend to visit Vitebsk. The city suffered greatly during the Second World War and was rebuilt in fact.

      I must say about Brest. It is very cosy, its architecture differs from other major cities in Belarus. Brest Fortress also worth a visit. I grew up not far from the city and was in the Fortress many times. Every time I feel a new feeling when you visit this place.

      Mir and Nyasvizh. These cities are famous for their castles.

      Polotsk. This is the ancient city of my country. There are many museums in Polotsk, and the city is very beautiful and worth a visit. I was in Polotsk twice and I hope that this summer I will be back there. Again.

      Turov. Stone crosses are growing from the ground in Turov!!! Many Orthodox pilgrims visit Turov and Polotsk.

      Gomel. It is the second largest city in my country. The city is famous for its park and beautiful architecture.

      Mogilev and Grodno. There is Star Square in Mogilev, tourists like to come there and sit on the chairs of the Zodiac. And touch the finger on the hand of the Stargazer (rumored, it brings happiness). Grodno is famous for its Catholic churches and unique theater.

      As you can see, a lot of cities in Belarus are worth visiting.

      Delete
    2. Dear Alena,
      Thank you for the detailed information about your beautiful and hospitable country. I hope I could visit all the places which you have described very soon.
      Have a nice day!

      Delete